Is election around the corner and you fear for the safety of you and your family? If YES, here are 20 best personal security tips for staying safe during elections. Election periods are usually associated with violence, political assassinations, etc.
All over the world, election period is known to be a really important time. This is because of the several activities that go on during these times. Activities like the campaign tours to different states and regions of the country, as well as the radio and television advertisements, just to mention a few. It is not new at all to countries that practice democracy.
These election activities without mincing words gulp a whole lot of funds. It is for that reason that there may be election financiers as the case may be. Whilst all these goings- on take place, it is important to state that security is an important aspect of all these activities. This is because if adequate security measure isn’t put in place, then to a very large extent, things may be marred.
Security matters are sine qua non to any election of any state. As a matter of fact, without these security measures then lives and properties may be lost in the process. These security precautions must not be taken seriously by the government of a state alone, as a matter of fact, the onus also lies on the entire citizenry. If you are ready, then let us look at the following tips that must be followed during elections.
20 Best Security Tips for Staying Safe During Elections
1. Do Not Argue About Politics in Public
If you belong to a particular political party and there is an argument about another political party, then it is important that you do not join in. This is so that you do not dabble into the augment that may warrant a fight to ensue.
2. Always Get Back On Time
The election period in various countries of the world, may be a time for violence to develop; therefore it is appropriate that you do not stay out late. As a matter of fact you have got to get home early.
3. Do Not Criticize Any Politician
Do not attempt to criticize any politician of the opposition party in your country in public. This is because if you do, you might be stepping one the toes of people who may want to be harmful.
4. Do not Support or Wear Political Campaign Uniforms in Public
If you belong to any political party, it may be better that you do not wear political party uniforms. This is so that you do not attract the attention of opposition party members who may be irritated by it. More often than not these party members may be all out to injure others.
5. Don’t Keep Late Night
It is very needful that during election period, you wrap up all you have to do before late night. As a matter of fact most organizations in Nigeria for instance, to a very large extent preach that their workers must not prowl at late night.
6. Always Listen to the News Always-: One of the ways to be security conscious during election time is to always stay abreast with issues. One of the ways to comfortably do this is by listening to the news always.
7. Don’t Disclose Who You Will Vote For at the Polls
During election period, people have different Candidates they pledge allegiance to. Some of them go as far as picking up a fight with those who aren’t in the same camp with them. Therefore it would do you well not to disclose whom you plan to vote for.
8. Once You Are Casting Your Vote Go Straight to Your Home
One of the ways to stay secure during elections is by returning home after casting your vote. Staying back or loitering with other supporters after casting your vote may be detrimental.
9. Don’t Move About With Huge Cash
If you have plans to move around with huge amount of cash during election, then you want to consider having a re-think, as this is no time to do such. Miscreants take advantage of the period to rob people off their valuables.
10. When Driving, Ensure That Your Car Central Lock is activated-: Do not drive without making sure that your car central lock is activated. This is so that you know that you are safe inside, rather than unsafe.
11. Steer Clear Undefined Crowd or Groups of People-: It is very needful that you do not associate yourself with undefined crowd or group of people who take delight in analyzing political issues and candidates in public.
12. If You Must Hang out with Friends, Ensure that it is Safe to Do So
Should you want to hang out with friends, then you must really be sure that you do this in a very secure area. It has to be in a non-violent area, or an area that is less prone to violence.
13. Don’t Move About With Expensive Gadgets (Mobile Device)
You would be doing yourself a world of good, if you do not move around with expensive gadgets. This is so that you do not run into scoundrels who may want to rob you off them.
14. Minimize Your Family Outings during Elections Period
It is important that you minimize your Family Outings during election. This is because of the pockets of troubles which may ensue and which makes your family vulnerable to any attack.
15. Stock up Your Home with Food
The election period is a period that enforces the stay at home order. Therefore, it is vital to store up the house with all the food stuff and ingredients that is needed so as to avoid incessant outings to the markets and malls.
16. Have Your Doctor’s Number Handy
If you do not have a medical person’s details handy, then you may want to know that you need to do this. This is so that you can call whenever you need a medical advice during election.
17. Cast Your Vote Once
One of the ways that you may be fermenting security trouble is when you decide to vote twice. There may be other party candidates that may want to get violent with you. So vote for your candidate just once.
18. Do Not Talk Recklessly At the Polls-: To be safe; it is forbidden that you do not talk recklessly at the polling unit about any candidate or the election process. Doing this may attract some grave consequences.
19. Celebrate in a Civil Manner
If after the elections your candidate wins, then it is important that you celebrate in a civil manner. It is no time to begin to paint the town red in a lavish style. Remember, that some folks who are in support of the opposition may not be too happy.
20. Do Not Partake Of Election Violence
Do not put yourself up to be used by politicians to perpetrate election violence. This is because some opposition people might as well be lurking in the dark to harm those who do this.
Please it is needful that you take to these election security tips to the latter. This is so that you do not have yourself to blame at the end. Practicing all these tips would only mean that you are relevant to the society.
- 50 Best Thunderstorm Safety Tips Before, During and After the Storm - October 22, 2018
- How to Know Someone is Stalking You and How to Deal With it - October 17, 2018
- How to Report Harassing Phone Calls to Police in 7 Steps - October 17, 2018