The rise of terrorism, militancy, kidnapping, internet fraud & armed robbery globally calls alarming. Here are 20 smart security tips for surviving in Nigeria. Nigeria is a country blessed with diverse cultures, abundance human and natural resources and literarily the pride of Africa. Nigeria is the largest black nation in the world with a population soaring well above 180 million people.
In fact, for every five blacks that you come across in any part of the world, you sure going to find at least a Nigerian amongst them. The resilience spirit within Nigerians is what is making them survive in any part of the world they find themselves.
Nigeria is a country with 36 states plus the seat of power which is known as Federal Capital Territory. Recently, Nigeria’s economy became the largest economy in Africa and Nigeria movie industry which is known as Nollywood- is the third largest movie industry in the world. Nigerians are friendly people and they welcome loads of visitors from all across the world. Foreigners come into Nigeria to work and for tourism et al.
The possibility of a business growing in Nigeria is unlimited; but in recent time, security of lives and properties has become a major concern not just to the federal government of Nigeria but also the international community. The rise of terrorism, militancy, kidnapping, internet fraud and armed robbery in Nigeria calls for caution if you must survive in Nigeria. Although these crimes are restricted to some areas but that doesn’t mean that you are not expected to be security conscious at every given time. For instance terrorism is restricted to the North Eastern part of Nigeria but everyone who lives in Nigeria are advised to be security conscious.
Here are 20 security tips for surviving in Nigeria;
20 Infallible Security Tips for Surviving & Staying Safe in Nigeria in 2021
Table of Content
- 1. Build Perimeter Fences around Your Compound
- 2. Install Alarm System in Your House, Office and Car
- 3. Ensure That the Doors and Gates are Always under Locks and Keys at All Times
- 4. Don’t Give Strangers Lift, but If You Must, Please Be Extra Careful
- 5. Don’t Disclose Your Personal Information to Strangers
- 6. Conduct Comprehensive Security Checks before Hiring Domestic Employees
- 7. Ensure that you do not Leave Valuables in Your Car when parked in a Public Car Park
- 8. Before Opening Your Gate / Door ate Night, Ensure nobody is trailing You Before Opening It
- 9. Ensure that a Valid ID is always with you
- 10. Keep Few Close Friends
- 11. Always Keep Torchlight and a Whistle Close to You
- 12. Buy Security Dogs
- 13. Install Burglary in Your Windows
- 14. Keep Limited Cash with You
- 15. Install CCTV Cameras in Your Home and Office
- 16. Scrutinize Your Children’s Friends
- 17. When Driving at Night, Ensure That Your Car Glasses are all Windup
- 18. When inside Your Car, Make Use of the Security Lock
- 19. Don’t Make Use of ATM to Withdraw Cash or Pay in Cash when it is Dark
- 20. Be Careful of What You Say in the Phone when you are in Public
1. Build Perimeter Fences around Your Compound
If you live in Nigeria, you will realize that almost every building is fenced for security reasons. People fence their buildings to prevent unwanted visitors from coming in. Thus, if you intend building a house in Nigeria, then you should make provision for building perimeter fence.
2. Install Alarm System in Your House, Office and Car
Installing alarm system in your house, office and car is one of the ways of preventing burglars from breaking into your house or office and car snatchers from snatching your car or stealing valuables from your car.
3. Ensure That the Doors and Gates are Always under Locks and Keys at All Times
It is important to ensure that your doors and gates are always under locks and keys at all times to prevent intruders from coming into your facility.
4. Don’t Give Strangers Lift, but If You Must, Please Be Extra Careful
People offer lift to commuters that are stranded, but it is not a wise decision, if you must give people lift, you just have to be extra careful, so at to avoid picking armed robbers.
5. Don’t Disclose Your Personal Information to Strangers
Nigerians are friendly people but that doesn’t mean that you can freely disclose your personal information to strangers. If you do, you might get hurt.
6. Conduct Comprehensive Security Checks before Hiring Domestic Employees
It is normal to hire cooks, gatemen, washer men and nannies, amongst others if you live in Nigeria. Please ensure that you conduct comprehensive background / security checks before hiring any domestic staff.
7. Ensure that you do not Leave Valuables in Your Car when parked in a Public Car Park
If you leave valuables like cameras, smart phones and laptop, and others in your car when parked in a public car park, you just may be inviting people to break into your car. Please ensure that you valuables are kept in your booth when you park your car in a public facility.
8. Before Opening Your Gate / Door ate Night, Ensure nobody is trailing You Before Opening It
Just ensure that nobody is trailing you before opening your gate or door especially at night and if you live in a quiet street.
9. Ensure that a Valid ID is always with you
Do not leave your house without a valid ID if you live in Nigeria; it is your valid ID that will save you if there is a police raid.
10. Keep Few Close Friends
It is good to network with loads of friends, but it is a wiser decision to keep fewer close friends. The more close friends you have, the more likely you will be implicated.
11. Always Keep Torchlight and a Whistle Close to You
Torchlight and whistle is an important security gadget in Nigeria, ensure you have them. This is a great way to alert people when the chips are down.
If you love dogs, then you can buy security dogs and keep them in your compound. This is important if you live with your family alone in a fenced compound.
13. Install Burglary in Your Windows
People install burglaries in their windows in Nigeria in order to prevent burglars from breaking into their houses or offices.
14. Keep Limited Cash with You
Ensure that you keep limited cash with you at all times, as it is a way of avoiding robbers from attacking you.
15. Install CCTV Cameras in Your Home and Office
You can talk to security companies to help you install CCTV cameras in your home and office. This will it help you monitor activities within your facility.
16. Scrutinize Your Children’s Friends
Ensure that you scrutinize your children’s friends. It is a way of preventing people from spying your house and family.
17. When Driving at Night, Ensure That Your Car Glasses are all Windup
Never wind down your car glasses at night when driving in Nigeria; you can be attacked by street urchins.
18. When inside Your Car, Make Use of the Security Lock
Don’t forget to always make use of your car security lock when you are inside the car.
19. Don’t Make Use of ATM to Withdraw Cash or Pay in Cash when it is Dark
It is dangerous to use the ATM to either withdraw cash or pay in cash at night. You can be attacked. Ensure that you conduct all transaction when it is still bright.
20. Be Careful of What You Say in the Phone when you are in Public
It is important not to attend to business calls in the public; you can mistakenly pass vital information to criminals when you do so.
Those are the never- to- be -compromised tips that you have got to hold dearly if you want to live safe and free from terror in Nigeria.
- 50 Best Thunderstorm Safety Tips Before, During and After the Storm in 2021 - October 22, 2018
- How to Know Someone is Stalking You and How to Deal With it - October 17, 2018
- How to Report Harassing Phone Calls to Police in 7 Steps in 2021 - October 17, 2018