With the rise of global insecurity, the awareness to stay safe at work is of paramount importance not just to employee but also the employer. The Human Resource of every organization is mandated to ensure that they pass regular security tips to employees. The truth is that if employees are safe, definitely the organization will be safe as well.
As a corporate executive in an organization, you will not only be exposed to physical threats, but also threats from online and also via the phone that is why it is very imperative for employees and employers as well to be proactive when it comes to security issues. There should be established protocol on how to handle various degree of security threat.
In most organization, every new employee is given security tips on how to stay safe at work and also how to protect the organization’s properties et al during orientation and induction programs. They are exposed to the organization’s policy on security. Employees can lose their jobs if the breach their organization’s security policy. Here are 20 security tips that can keep a corporate executive safe in the workplace;
20 Impregnable Personal Security Tips for Corporate Executives
1. Don’t Expose Your Company’s Vital Info to Strangers
You first responsibility as an employee in any organization is to ensure that you keep your company’s vital info and trade secret safe. Under no circumstance should you expose your company’s vital info to strangers. A breach in your company’s security won’t just affect your job but it will also affect your organization.
2. Ensure That All Doors and Windows are properly locked when leaving the Office
If you are the last person to leave the office, it is important to ensure that all the doors and windows are properly locked before leaving the office. It won’t take you up to 5 minutes to do this.
3. Ensure that there are Security Lights at the Entrance and All around Your Office Premises
When there are security lights at the entrance of your office and also all around the premises, it makes it easier to notice strange movements and intruders especially if you resume very early in the morning.
4. If you are the First Person to Resume, Ensure that the Doors are locked Before Opening it and Making Your Way In
It is important to ensure that the doors are locked before making your way in especially if you know that you are the first to resume. A burglar might be inside and waiting for the employee to hold hostage.
5. Password Your Computer and Documents
If you work with computers at work, it is important to create passwords for your computer and documents to prevent people from having easy access to your work document and info.
6. If You Make Use of Laptops, Ensure That They Are Kept Safe at All Times-: It is your responsibility to ensure that the organization’s properties under your care are kept safe at all times, especially your laptops.
7. Do Not Leave Valuables in Your Car When Parked at the Car Park
It is important not to leave valuables in your car when parked at the car park because anybody can break into your and steal them. Besides, most organization clearly state that cars are parked at owners risks.
8. Install Alarm System in Your Car if You Travel to Work with It-: You should also consider installing alarm system in your car since nobody will be held responsible if your car is stolen from a public car park.
9. Ensure That the Emergency Exits are Passable-: It will not be a wise decision to only make use of emergency exits during emergency, it is important to confirm if all emergency exits are passable.
10. Always Cross Check To Be Sure the Fire Alarms Are Intact-: It won’t be a bad idea to cross check to be sure that the fire alarm installed in your office is still intact.
11. Always Cross Check To Be Sure the CCTV Cameras are Functional-: It is also very important to cross check from time to time to be sure that the CCTV cameras are functional.
12. Always Cross Check To Be Sure the Security Alarms Are Intact
Due to some electrical fault, some security alarms can be discounted or damaged. If you are security conscious, then you must cross check from time to time to be sure the security alarms in your workplace are intact.
13. Don’t Allow Visitors without Visitor’s Tag to Enter Your Work Station
If you company issue visitor’s tag to visitor before allowing them into your office facility, then it is your responsibility not to allow visitors without visitor’s tag to enter your work station.
14. When You Suspect the Movement of a Stranger in Your Office, Report the Situation to the Security Post As Fast As You Can-: Being security conscious requires that you report any suspect within your office premises as fast as you can.
15. If You Must Take Your Office Equipment / Gadgets Home, Ensure they are Kept Safe-: If your organization allows you to take your laptop or external hard disk home, ensure that they are kept safe.
16. Keep Your Access Card and ID card Secured at all times-: It is possible for criminals to steal an employee’s access card, so ensure that you keep your access card and ID card secured at all times.
17. Don’t Store Non Official Info / Document in Your Official Computer
Try as much as possible to keep your private life away from your office, don’t store your non official info or document in your official computer if you do, people (I.T. Admin) can easily access them.
18. Ensure That All Entrance and Exits are Kept Safe during Working Hours-: It is still part of your responsibility to ensure that all entrance and exits are kept safe during working hours.
19. Ensure that you aren’t being trailed-: When driving or strolling to work, ensure that nobody is trailing you. If you notice anybody trailing your, then make your way to the nearest police station or a safe place.
20. Avail Yourself for Security Trainings and Seminars
Lastly, you need to be updated on trending security tips that is why you must avail yourself for security related trainings and seminars.
There you have it; 20 security tips for corporate executives.